Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Project 365: Day 88 - "It's sometimes difficult to think clearly when you're strapped to a printing press." - Batman




Having a birthday the day before Halloween forever sentences you to a life of Halloween costume birthday parties. I even vowed that this year I would not do a Halloween party for their birthday. They wanted a Batman theme party. They've talked about it and planned it for the past six months.

So, when I told their dad that we would have their "non-halloween" birthday party on their actual birthday, the 30th, he surprised me by disagreeing. Normally he just goes with the flow without much of an opinion when it comes to things like that. But not this year. He really wanted to have their birthday on Halloween. Not because he just loves this holiday, much to the contrary actually. He won't even dress up no matter how many times I begged him over the years. No, he just said that he likes the idea of the boys having all their friends there to go trick or treating with them. It was actually hard for me to disagree.

But I did stand my ground on one crucial point. This would NOT be a Halloween themed party with spiders hanging from the ceiling, lighted pumpkins everywhere, pumpkin shaped birthday cakes, or ghost covered paper lanterns scattered about. Nope. This is going to be a Batman party. Invitations, paper products, treat bags and even the boys themselves will be based on the classic super heroes.

We were going to make it a "family" affair with Big E as Robin, Peanut as Batman, myself as Batgirl or Robinette, and the dad as the Joker (quite fitting as the bad guy, huh? Of course, getting him in it would be a whole 'nother battle). So, the family cartoon would have been great. Unfortunately, I'm not in the tramping mood this year and therefore feel it is inappropriate for a 37 year old mom to wear the hoochy mama costumes they have the nerve to advertise as Batgirl or Robinette. Honestly, the Batgirl costume is not sooo bad, but they make it out of some cheap looking patent pleather that looks more like something I would wear to a fetish bar than to a child's birthday party. And Robinette? Yeah, it has "holy horny, Batman!" written all over it. Not gonna happen.

So what did I opt for? Well, it had to be something that was child appropriate, figure forgiving, and possibly suitable for work (in case I get lucky enough that they allow dressing up this year). So I settled on a super cute Hobo Clown number I actually found at Wal-Mart. And it's not the dumpy oversized hobo that your mom made you wear in elementary school. It's really very cute and figure flattering to boot! And yes, pictures will be shared following the holiday.

So, while I may have won the battle on Batman favors over Halloween cupcakes, I will forever lose the war within myself in which I surrender to wear a costume. How could I ever turn myself down??

88 (a,b,c) of 365: A family that Halloweens together stays together.....
Pictures from the boys' 3rd Halloween themed Birthday party......

Gorgeous mom as a dark fairy...


Awesome dad as the best Batman ever...


Me as a witch (without my hat) and the sweetest sister in the world as a pirate.


Good Night All!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you a single mother attempting to find scholarships? If that’s the case, you

much more than likely already understand how mind-boggling it could be to balance

being a mother while pursuing a career. But really there is not much to worry

about. Fortunately, there is a great deal of resources offered which exclusively

appeal to single mothers who necessitate monetary support to be able to further

their education and future.If you just know where to look.

single moms

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to setup a blog just like yours, can you tell me how you managed it?
Dear Moderator, I hope you don't delete my post. I mean no harm, just being weird.
I haven't launched my website yet, but my mom say I have the skills. I want it to look like yours, care to share any tips?
This page rocks, keep up the good work.

Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Anonymous said...

Is Bigfoot True or made up? For over 4 hundred a long time, there have already been reporting’s of a man like beast that may be totally coated in hair.
[url=http://www.is-bigfoot-real.com/]sasquatch[/url]

Western Sky said...

It's good. I like reading it.