Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Project 365: Day 52 - Happy Pizza

So if you can't tell from the title of my blog, I'm not a big fan of pessimism or negativity. I believe that to be happy is to choose to be happy. If I'm not happy, I will look around and do my best to determine why I'm not happy. And if it's something that is within my control (and it usually is), then I'll see what I need to do to change it. I wasn't happy with my job, even though I had been there almost 14 years. I knew that things within the job itself were not going to change. So I changed what I had control of..... myself. I made a very scary decision to move on to a new firm. And let me tell you..... I AM HAPPY.

I hope my boys will be able to look at me and see how strongly I believe in life choices and knowing that we're in control of our own happiness. And no, I don't completely have my head in the clouds and I'm not some "hippie-spirit-everything-is-beautiful" dreamer. Of course I understand that things will happen that will be completely out of our control and they will take that happiness away. But as quickly as your happiness eludes you, you have to make the conscious decision that you WILL choose to be happy again. And then you have to put those decisions into action.

Nothing irritates me more than someone who can sit around and complain about everything around them and then choose not to do anything about it. I wasn't happy in my marriage anymore and so I chose to leave. I wasn't happy in my job anymore, so I chose to leave. Now I'm not saying that we should all run away from whatever it is that's causing our grief. I'm just saying that if you have no control over the things that are bringing you this grief, then choose to do something that brings you joy. If you can't leave the job that you don't like, then bring some other form of joy into your life and nurture it and let it grow into something you otherwise would have let disappear inside you.

I was fortunate enough to be able to move on from my marriage with little conflict and with the ability to take care of myself. I was fortunate enough to move on in my career because of my experience and determination and hope that there was something better out there. Those were my decisions and I believe that I will continue to make choices that will positively impact my life and my boys' lives. I hope that my choices will be recognized by them, if not now then one day maybe, and they will learn that they, too, have the control to make choices that make them happy.

I like to think that they are already starting to understand that happiness can be found in many places.

52 of 365: Peanut eats his pizza this way because he says the happy face he creates makes him happy.

What a beautiful sight.......


Good Night All!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok-this is really weird. Were you at my house last night listening to my conversation with Marcelo? You just don't even know how much I needed to hear this. Not the "complaining all the time" part because you know that's not me, but the "not happy with things in your life" part. I was telling him that I just am not sure what I want to do with my life. I really don't want to go back to teaching, but I definitely want to do something in the "helping others" field. I LOVE my job now, but I really need to make more money. I have some thinking to do so I can figure some things out, and get a plan in action. Thanks for the push in
the right direction. I am so proud of you for taking those leaps of faith. I am inspired to do the same (except the husband part.) Lol. Love you girl!! Kellie

Anonymous said...

Love the pizza!! What a sweet boy you have for thinking of that!! ~Kellie