Saturday, October 16, 2010

Project 365: Day 77 - Thrifty Ideas.....


So I had a revelation tonight. For years I have shopped thrift stores for my kids. With twins, looking for money saving ideas is always a must. When I found out that I could trade in their clothes at the local Kid to Kid thrift shop I was elated! So now, every season I take in their old clothes and trade them in for a whole new wardrobe. It is a huge money saver and my kids would probably have to wear the same outfit two or three a times a week if I had not started this trend.

So why, I ask myself, could the same not apply to me? And therein lies my revelation. Tonight I started a new addiction. I found this great thrift shop down the street from my home and it's not just for kids! I walked in not knowing really what to expect. Probably crappy worn out clothes that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. But much to my surprise, I couldn't have been more wrong. Rows and rows of slightly worn clothing lay out in front of me and I knew I was in for a real treasure hunt. Brand names were plentiful and some items still have the original tags on them.

Yes, the clothing was organized by color and season and type. And there was no division by size, but flipping through hanger after hanger created an excitement I wasn't expecting. These weren't off brands you'd never heard of. These were BCBG, Kenneth Cole, Express, Gap, Banana Republic, and the list goes on and on. Of course, you definitely came across clothes that looked like they came from 18 seasons ago or the quadruple extra large that you could fit six of yourself in, but mostly I would wear this stiff.

And I'm a window shopper. A therapy I took to a long time ago, but it calms me to sift through hundreds of items just to find that one magnificent piece. And what's great about this particular thrift shop is that it isn't one of your high end thrift shops that still have pricey tags. These are great finds under five dollars. I bought a spiderman shirt for the boys for $1.29. I found an Old Navy sweater for my sister with the original tag still attached. And a Kenneth Cole skirt for myself that looked like it had never been worn.

As a single parent, this is a gem of a find. This economy is hitting everyone hard and I no longer have the luxury of a dual income family. The days of mall shopping are well behind me. But the thrift store experience is a change I welcome with open arms.

77 of 365: Tonight's little treasure finds.....



Good Night All!

0 comments: