Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Project 365: Day 32 - Fusstrated......

About a year ago, my kids were introduced to Ni Hao Kai Lan. Now for most parents out there, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. And for the rest of you? I was going to say "go look it up" but that would be totally rude of me. It's a Nick, Jr program that probably exited our home almost as quickly as it entered. The show wasn't violent and it didn't wig me out like that big purple dinosaur or drive me to want to drink like those weird puffy things with tv's on their bellies. It's actually a show built on a brilliant idea to teach kids how to deal with their feelings.

As any parent who has endured those precious toddler years knows, temper tantrums, fighting and biting become as common an occurrence as changing a diaper. Schools and day care centers do a wonderful job teaching children to use their words instead of their fists. And that IS the premise of this show, but for some reason, children take to it like brainwashed robots. Peanut adapted the "I'm mad mad" phrase almost instantaneously. So now, instead of the typical scream, push, shove, kick; we got all that and a bag of attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for use your words and not your teeth. And parents definitely bear the responsibility of teaching their children right from wrong. But something about a four year old throwing a snooty tantrum stomping off to the other room while asserting his "I'm so mad at you right now mama", just makes me wonder what kind of divas we are raising. I swear, every time I heard a Nick, Jr trained anger control phrase come from one their mouths, my stomach balled up and I wished they would just throw to the floor like every other normal four year old.

Seriously, my son telling me how "fusstrated" he is with me kinda makes me want to giggle, just a little. But hey, I guess I shouldn't be complaining too much. At least they're talking about their feelings. I'm proud to say, they got that from their mama (and a little Chinese girl.)

32 of 365: How could such attitude come from such a precious Peanut?....


Good Night All!

0 comments: