Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Project 365: Day 38 - Reading and Writing and Books, oh my!.....


I'm excited about picking my boys up from school tomorrow. Each time I get to see them for the first time after a few days away from them gets sweeter and sweeter. I get so giddy half way through the work day that I feel the urge to leave a little earlier. But right now, money is tighter than last year's jeans and I can't afford to leave early. So my solution???? I'll go in earlier. Problem solved.

When I moved into my new place and the "down time" presented itself with almost too much alone time, I realized that I was going to have to find something more to occupy myself. So this year I started reading. I've always enjoyed writing. Been doing it for as long as I can remember. But reading someone else's writing is different a universe to me. I blame it on my patience. My mind was always too over active to be able to focus on the imaginations of someone else. I also blame it on the fact that my mind doesn't work the way the minds of those other writers work. Maybe I was a little jealous. Until I started my last blog, most of my writing remained private. Because I was unsure whether or not my writing was as good as those writers I was too afraid to read.

But this year I decided to ignore my insecurities and see if there was anything to truly be afraid of. And I discovered that I have a lot to learn from these folks. Now, when I tell you how many books I've read this year, try not to laugh too much. I know I deserve a little ragging because, hey, I write, so I should read, right? Yeah not so much. BUT so far I have read four books. That's right folks! I actually made it through four whole books. I've surprised myself, ha!

But now that I've started, I'm totally addicted. I love talking about the books I'm reading. I love sharing the books I'm reading and I love recommending a book and then finding out that the person I recommended it to loves it too. That's the best. And I'm finding out that there was nothing to be afraid of. I know that my own personal writing style can be influenced by the amazing words of other writers and I love that possibility.

So now, I have this super birthday gift coming my way and I cannot wait! I have ordered the Kindle ereader. Maybe if anyone out there has one, you can tell me everything you love about it and get me all the more excited about it. I need something to take my mind off that better than sex cake I left at "the dad's" house.

38 of 365: My new toy.... (I know, technically this is cheating because I didn't take this picture, but who cares...)



Good Night All!

0 comments: