Sunday, September 12, 2010

Project 365: Day 43 - Laughing and Lizards....



I remember being in Silver Springs, Florida when I was younger and holding a very large snake around my neck. I actually don't remember it all that well, because as you know I've made it perfectly clear that my memory sucks. But there is a picture to prove it, so it must have happened. There I am probably eleven years old (my mom would know better) and I have this humongous constrictor around my neck and a smile of equal size on my face. The scaly reptile didn't bother me one bit. I actually quite enjoyed it. (At least that's what the picture tells me)

Today the boys attended their first birthday party of the school year and as luck would have it, it was a reptile party. A very average looking woman showed up with not very average party favors...... snakes, lizards and bearded dragons. The kids went wild over the sight. Several of the species were large enough to swallow these four and five year olds whole. But that didn't scare them. Most were patiently waiting in their seats while the "reptile keeper" gave her shpeal about each and every one of them. They were ready to touch these marvels, to prove to themselves that the animals were real and not some plastic trick the keeper was playing on them.

The first reptile to endure the touchy feely hands of the post toddler kids was the largest yellow snake I'd ever seen. What the hell am I saying? It was the largest snake period I've ever seen. Who cares about the color? You've never seen so many kids jump into a straight line so fast. The smiles were wide and the belief was barely visible. Each child having to reach out and touch before that belief was validated. It was pretty awesome. Of course, most kids have been to a petting zoo or something similar, but to have distant relatives of the dinosaurs in your friend's front yard???? Impossible. And way cool.

42 or 365: Turtles, Snakes, Lizards and more.....



Good Night All!

0 comments: